Friday, September 7, 2007

An interview with an orange

Here's an interview I did with Sebastian of Youth.sg sometime back. I look orange! I'm lazy to edit the colours in Photoshop...

Dream Over, All Too Soon?
Written by Sebastian Chin, Wednesday, 22 August 2007

Shauna may be the baby of the lot but she sure has loads of wisdom. Confident and full of swagger, nothing seems to ever bring her down.

Youth.SG: Any reasons as to why you joined Live the Dream?

Shauna: I’ve always loved to sing, it’s a hobby. Now it’s time to make it more than just a hobby!I think it’s the right time for me to come out of my shell a little bit more. I’m having a little break from my work so the timing was right as well.

Tell us more about yourself.

Shauna:I try to be as active as I can. I’m actually a happy-go-lucky person. Every once in a while I go to the gym, do sports climbing and inline skate! I used to be a rather tomboyish person, (I’d) run with the boys, jump staircases and (now I’ve) got lots of scars on my body! I wear jeans most of the time so it covers everything (laughs).

Any special juice to win those votes?

Shauna:I don’t think there’s no real special tactics. It’s quite fair. A little of it is left to the judges and the rest pretty much left to the audience. It’s really anybody's game. No matter much you prepare and focus all you can, you can only do your best and give it your all and hope for a good outcome. That’s simply no telling what’s going to happen.

What are the emotions you go through when you are performing?

Shauna:The very first emotion I feel on stage is nervousness. A lot of people actually saw that! (laughs) There’s also uncertainty… you have overcome that by telling yourself that what you need to do is focus on the amount of time you have. You can prepare all you want, but you only have that one minute and 30 seconds to show what you got. Everything just boils down to that moment. Everybody will agree with me I guess.

How’s the Live the Dream experience so far?


Shauna:My experience has been quite enlightening! It has taught me more about myself as a person and I am also happy to see that people, even the ones that didn’t get in to the final, are so passionate about their music and they are all here for the same reasons. There are a lot of talents in Singapore that are forgotten, often never heard or seen. I think it’s great that Live the Dream actually provides a platform to give more visibility for people like that.

Any plans to turn your dream into a reality if you win the competition?

Shauna:I know there’s a $40,000 cash prize but to be honest, there are times, like when we are doing the shoots, it’s really not on your mind. The first thing on your mind is to go out there and do well. That is definitelythe utmost thing on my mind at the moment. If I do win, it would be a tremendous blessing. I definitely will wantto do something more with it… wouldn’t want to stop at one concert showcase! Once you start doing it, you’ll never stop. It will be an insult to the others who didn’t have the chance and disappoint young people who have dreams. I know the Singapore musical industry is still growing and there are limitations but you just got to keep on going.

What were your preparations for this week’s show?


Shauna:I have been trying to get sleep because it’s really important. Drink lots of water. Stay away from foods that are going to be detrimental to your voice. I have never had proper vocal trainings aside from the one I did last week but I do go online to look for vocal tutorials and guides to care for my vocal health. The vocal tutorials are really useful as they have taught me how to go about practicing and warming up my vocals.

Who’s your biggest fan?


Shauna:My family!! Mom and Dad have been very supportive through the whole thing. My sister has also been helping me buy stuff. I feel really grateful to them.

What other dreams do you have?


Shauna:Travel the world and see lot of things I guess. With music, I believe it is easier to accomplish this as there will be tours and that means traveling! This gives me a chance to explore the world and at the same time do the stuff I love, music!

What you do think of the judges, Dick and Ken? Who do you prefer?

Shauna:Ha-ha! Well, there is no real preference. I would say Dick is very fashionable and gives really good advice. Ken, well, I guess he’s really different from the personality most people see him on TV. I have always preferred forward and upfront, vital advice which is what Ken is really good with.

No comments: