Thursday, September 6, 2007

The thrills and spills of the present

Last Saturday, we had a trailer shoot for the upcoming genres for Live The Dream. It was the first time I really enjoyed myself, despite reeling from the lack of sleep. All the contestants are such great people. And by that I mean good human beings. They have alot of heart.

Lately I've been on an emotional roller coaster. Of course being on TV and all that, you are subjecting yourself to a myriad of views and criticisms. Like I constantly tell myself, no matter how bad the comments get, I signed up for the show and I asked to be there. I want to give it a shot so this comes with the territory.

You know the saying, "Never judge a book by it's cover?" Unfortunately it is hard for us not to, myself included. But I never let myself forget that beneath the cover of any book, are stories about who we are, our lives, pain, joy and the experiences that make us human. There are so many quotes that were made by several prominent people in history that are valued by us as truths. Who is more right? The one who said that "The clothes maketh the man", or "Never judge a book by it's cover"? You see the irony? But yes, they are both right.

I was asked if girls face harsher judgment when it comes to talent competitions like this on TV. My opinion is that it is a different game for us girls. It is really tough to find a balance so you don't come off being a tart, but tasteful. I hope people will look past my veneer and see me for who I am and what I stand for. I do know that respect is never commanded, it is earned.

I was truly upset the week of my competition after reading about what some had to say, I couldn't even find it within myself to celebrate my small victory when I know I should be. I broke down in front of my computer and had a good cry. Several days after I was still off the rockers. It is something I will learn to cope with. I soon realised this is going to be one of the many important lessons I will take away with me long after the show is over. It it not humanly possible to please everyone. This will only make me stronger.

Everything happens for a reason, and nothing is a coincidence. As far back as my memory serves me, I was never the one to be at the right place at the right time. What if this is my time? What if this is where I am meant to be, at this very moment? I think of all the possibilities there are for me and it excites me to the bone. I visualise bringing my family on that holiday I've been secretly wanting to do and hopefully relieving them of some difficulties they face right now.

I am so lucky to be where I am right now, and I am grateful to everyone who has a part to play in it. I have to keep believing. And the rest will come naturally.

No comments: